Sunday, August 16, 2009

North Korea's destiny

I attended my church's corporate prayer service recently. Praying for North Korea was on the agenda. It was then that I learnt about the importance of Pyongyang (in North Korea) to the rise of the Pentecostal movement in South Korea.

In the early 1900s, Pyongyang was once called the "Jerusalem of Asia". That took my breath away because I could never have imagined that, given North Korea's current state.


I went online to look for the links and here they are:

http://www.kcgm.org/north_korea.html
North Korea used to be very much a Christian country before the Communists took over in 1945. Pyung Yang, the Capital of North Korea, was once called the “Jerusalem of Asia.” That’s where the great revival took place in 1907 and 1932.


http://pewforum.org/surveys/pentecostal/countries/?CountryID=194
The Origins of Pentecostalism in South Korea
1880s-1910s: American Presbyterians and Methodists establish the first resident Protestant missions in the mid-1880s. A 1907 revival in Pyongyang involves more than a thousand adults and children, some of whom receive charismatic gifts, fueling nationwide evangelism. By 1910, there are more than 150,000 Protestants in the country (I. Kim 2003: 34, 41; Y. Lee 2001: 75-79).


During the corporate prayer, what was impressed upon the congregation was that God would bring a third revival to North Korea. I'm not very sure whether this will happen in my life-time but I'm praying and believing in it. What a revival that would be! WOW! Amen!

No comments: