Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Experiencing God through the five senses

I recently went for a Wesley counsellors' retreat, and I really liked what one of the counsellors said about experiencing God with our five senses.

Most of the time, we use only two senses - sight and hearing.

I was in my hotel room alone during one of the days and so gave myself some time to experience God through my five senses.

I prayed before I started and these were what I wrote on my journal:

Sight
- An eagle soaring in the sky
- A shining sword
- Two big caring hands supporting me
- Huge white feathers providing me with full cover


Taste
- Sweeter than honey
- Snowflakes landing on the tongue
- Softness of a feather
- Warm and comforting


Smell
- The morning air in a dense forest
- Fresh and invigorating
- Familiar
- An apple orchard



Touch
- Protective and loving
- Very gentle like a breath on my skin
- Always a hug
- Fully enveloped in his love


Hearing
- Through the Word
- Through the Holy Spirit
- Through other people
- Through incidents and events
- Through creation
- Through a soft still voice
- From my right ear
- In my head

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Plain Forgiven said...

Hi,

Thank you for passing by. All glory to God. :-)

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave
it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put the shell to her
ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched
her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off
topic but I had to tell someone!