Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Song onto the Lord

Ended work at 6.30pm recently and rushed to church quite ill-prepared for the cellgroup worship training session. However, God is far bigger and wonderfully gracious.

I took away so much from the session. It was also then that I received an sms that filled me with so much joy. A friend smsed me to let me know that another friend was very much on fire for God.

What I took away from the training session:

1. What is worship all about?

William Temple (Archbishop of Canterbury from 1942-1944) wrote:

Worship is the submission of all of our nature to God.

It is the quickening of conscience by His holiness,
nourishment of mind by His truth,
purifying of imagination by His beauty,
opening of the heart to His love, and
submission of will to His purpose.

And all this gathered up in adoration is the greatest of human expressions of which we are capable.

Pastor Benny Ho said:
"Worship is the human response to the touch of God. Forms and rituals - whether traditional or charismatic - do not produce true worship. Worship does not happen until Spirit touches spirit."



2. What constitutes acceptable sacrifices?

Psalm 19:14
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight,
O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.



3. What does rejoicing in the Lord mean?

Habakkuk 3:17-19
17 Though the fig tree should not blossom,
nor fruit be on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail
and the fields yield no food,
the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord;
I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
19 God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like the deer's;
he makes me tread on my high places.

Amen.

No comments: