Friday, June 17, 2011

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire

I slipped in my quiet time over the past few weeks because I was reading books - first, Gideon's Spies; next, A Biography of Cancer; and last, Hard Truths. After finishing the three books, God brought me to Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Pastor Jim Cymbala as a gentle reminder that I've been neglecting my relationship with my Father. 


One of my friends recommended this book to me many years back and I'm reading it only now. She said that it was a life-transforming book for her in that it totally changed her perspective on prayer. She now serves in the intercession ministry. As I read the book, I also pray that the book will do the same for me and that my prayer life will never be the same again. Here are some excerpts and my thoughts on them:


"I discovered an astonishing truth: God is attracted to weakness. He can't resist those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need him."


Lord, thank You that You know how weak I am and You love me regardless. Enable me to always have that humility and that honesty to come to you with all my weaknesses and not just my strengths; with all my failures and not just my accomplishments; and with all my tears and not just my joy; with all my pain and not just my pleasures; and with all of me and not just a mask, a facade or a front. For Lord, when I am weak, then I am strong in You. 


"If you and your wife will lead my people to pray and call upon my name, you will never lack for something fresh to preach. I will supply all the money that's needed, both for the church and for your family, and you will never have a building large enough to contain the crowds that I will send in response."


Lord, thank you for reminding me that if we pray and call upon Your name, we will never be in lack. Lord, cement always in me this truth that Lord, You have blessed us to be a blessing to others. Enable me, Lord, to use the gifts that You have blessed me with to bless others and to minister to others, so that Lord, they know You love them. Give me, Lord, an undivided heart so that I may serve you. Give me, Lord, a heart big enough to serve others in humility and in grace and in love. Humble me always, Lord, so that You are glorified.


"A minister said.......You can tell how popular a church is by who comes on Sunday morning. You can tell how popular a pastor or evangelist is by who comes on Sunday night. But you can tell how popular Jesus is by who comes to the prayer meeting."


Lord, it is all about You and no one or nothing else. That is the Gospel. Amen.







No comments: