Wednesday, November 23, 2011

YWAM The Call - Listening to God

YWAM The Call:
A call to His people
To return to the heart of worship
To wait on Him to hear His heart
To prepare a resting place for His presence and glory


Short notes from Donna Jordan's session on Listening to God. Quite wonderful. We were all seated in a circle and she said that she's going to talk to us as God leads her. Leaving this in the chronological manner in which she spoke.


* Four voices are always with us:
- God's voice
- Our voice
- Devil's voice
- Others' voice


* How do we test and discern that it's God voice that we're hearing?
By the witness in our Spirit; the witness in other people's spirit; the Word of the Lord. Just as we would always recognise our earthly fathers' voices, we would recognise God's voice more and more if we have a deep relationship with Him.


Also if we're hearing God speak to other people through us, we should ask: "I feel this is what God is saying. What do you think? Does it mean anything to you? Do you feel something in your spirit?"


* God wants to speak through our imagination but that, too, has to be committed to God.


* A prayer that Donna always starts her day with:
"Jesus, I love you. Father I submit all of me - my mind, body, spirit - to the Holy Spirit. What is on your heart today?"


* God wants to confide in friends
John 15:14-15
New International Version (NIV)
14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.


* Listen to the Spirit's prompting. We will not be set free if we don't forgive. Choosing to forgive is important in allowing God to work through us. Keep short accounts.
Romans 12:1-2
A Living Sacrifice
1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.


* How do we break free?
James 4:7
New International Version (NIV)
7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.


* Relative statement »» Absolute truth = legalism


* Absolute truth »» Relative statement = liberalism


* Be continually filled with the Holy Spirit. This will show not through the gifts of the Spirit but rather through the fruit of the Spirit.
Galatians 5:22-23
New International Version (NIV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


* Unbelief and pride hinders us from listening to God.


* Donna asked us to ask God these questions:
- Lord, what do you think of me?
- What do you want to say through me to this person?
- Lord, what do you think of me in a certain situation?
- Lord, what is on your heart today?
- Lord, whom do you want me to help today?
- Lord, what do you want me to learn today?

No comments: