Tuesday, November 22, 2011

YWAM The Call - Worship

Had the tremendous privilege of going for a YWAM Associates' retreat/gathering even though I hadn't attended any DTS programme etc. As with previous gatherings, there was no agenda and the 60-70 of us were to spend the days just waiting on the Lord to lead us. I absolutely love such retreats precisely because God sets the agenda. We did have a guest speaker Dan Sneed as well as YWAM giants Peter and Donna Jordan, plus the current batch of the DTS students. I missed Day 1 because of work but tore myself away from work to go for for half of Day 2, Day 3 and Day 4.


The first session in the afternoon was for people involved in the worship ministry because we had an unusually large proportion of such people in the entire group. But the invitation was extended to those with a heart for worship so I went. We all individually shared about what worship meant to us. We then waited on the Lord and the circle was thrown open to those who wanted to share a song. So some felt led to lead with a song and we all followed. The session ended with us feeling the presence of God so strongly that all of us bowed down and wept. We also took off our shoes because we were literally on holy ground.


For me, I shared that when I was a new Christian, I looked at worship in terms of whether the worship team was playing my favourite songs, whether my favourite worship group was leading worship, etc. It seemed almost suicidal for me to share like that in front of so many worship ministry people but I felt the Lord wanted me to tell them what it was like for me in the congregation listening to them. Then I said that slowly I realised that worship was about God and that music was one of the most wondrous creations of God. I told them that sometimes, the worship was so good that if the service had ended there and then without even a sermon, that would have absolutely fine with me because that was all. I also shared that the best thing was that we could worship God in different languages. Like I could listen to a Kyrgyz Christian song and be moved by it. And I ended it with a question: Whom are we doing it for?


The session ended with someone saying that she longed for a worship session where different people/tribes could worship God using their languages and their culture. There were 23 countries represented during this retreat. Another shared a vision regarding the unfurling of different types of carpets to usher in the King. I was very moved because it reminded me of why to me, the taking of Holy Communion in the church was one of the best moments of a church service. It always warms my heart when I see people lining up and going to the front to take communion because I see people of different shapes and sizes and people of different races, underscoring the truth that God's grace is extended to all.


Hallelujah hallelujah hallelujah
To the Lamb
Hallelujah hallelujah
By the blood of Christ we stand
Every tongue every tribe
Every people every land
Giving glory giving honor
Giving praise unto the Lamb of God


The leading of the first session set the tone for worship in the second session at night. We had dancing! :-) Four DTS students from Kona, Hawaii also felt led to perform the haka, which was deeply symbolic. It was not a performance but something they felt God had wanted them to do during the worship session. When they were doing the haka, the atmosphere was so moving - like there was the tearing down of spiritual strongholds and many breakthroughs. I could hardly pen down in words the awesomeness of that day, but am truly humbled and thankful to God that His presence was with us in such an amazing, holy and glorious way. I wanted to record it here so that I am always reminded that God showed Himself in a powerful way that day.


Lord, you are awesome, and I serve you. Wow. What an honour, what a privilege, what a life. Thank you, Lord.



No comments: