Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Time heals many things

Written: 16 December 2015

Got into a cab headed towards YWCA for an 8pm session. I groaned inwardly as the cab driver asked me why I was headed there and started talking about God (atheist), evolution and the meaning of life. He then mentioned that he was 50, a divorcee and had three sons. This was a significant moment for him and for me. So I perked up and gave him my full attention.
 
He said that he was working in China (I forgot which city) for his ex- wife's uncle's company and that his ex-wife was based separately in Shanghai. They left their three sons in his mother's care in Singapore. They were married for close to 20 years. Then 12 years ago, his wife sent him divorce papers and said that she was seeing someone else. He agreed to a divorce on two conditions - he gets full ownership of their five-room flat at Redhill and full custody of their three sons. She agreed but asked that their divorce be backdated by four years because she wanted to remarry as soon as possible. He was fine with that.
 
He then sold the flat and moved into a three-room flat with his sons and his mother. He also quit his job overseas and came back to Singapore to work as a cab driver. He added that he had set aside money for his sons' education and when they got married in future. I gently told him that he has been providing for them on his own for so long as a single parent and he would naturally want to continue that but his sons can also independently fend for themselves once they start working. He said that his ex-wife keeps in contact with his sons and that he always tells his sons to ask his ex-wife to buy expensive things like mobile phones.
 
I asked him whether he felt sad when his wife wanted to divorce him. He said that he was very sad but it has been 12 years and that time heals a lot of things. He has had a few girlfriends since then but they didn’t last because his focus was on his three sons and his mother.
 
All too soon, the cab turned into YWCA. As I paid the fare, he wistfully told me that sometimes the desire to work overseas and earn more money may cost one more than one thinks. I looked at him and thanked him for sharing so much about his life. I then told him that time does heal many things. He has moved on and has a lot to look forward to, especially his three sons who should be appreciative of everything he has done for them so far.

No comments: