Sunday, January 28, 2007

My philosophy of life

In the current course that I'm attending, one of the key requirements is that I turn in an 800- to 1,000-word essay on my philosophy of life. It took me eight hours and three revisions before I settled on this one.

I am a Christian.


I learnt to give generously of myself to others from my parents. I come from a poor non-Christian family but I have never lacked love, care and attention.


I played competitive badminton from secondary school to university level. Some values and principles were ingrained in me: If one gives of one’s best, it is good enough; defeat doesn’t mean failure; and winning graciously is as important as losing graciously. I experienced the empowering impact of teamwork, camaraderie, friendship, humility, integrity, honesty, diligence and responsibility.

My auntie and my uncle brought us to Sunday school. My auntie sang to us of God’s love and grace. I grew up thinking that everyone knew how to sing Morning Has Broken, Pass It On and This Little Light of Mine.


I was a sickly child and had three major operations. I remember a nurse telling me “Jesus loves you” when I was wheeled into the operating theatre for my first operation. I remember watching a boy, the only son of an elderly couple, die. My mum and I couldn’t stop crying. I was exposed to pain, suffering and death but I look back very fondly on those long hospital stays because the doctors and nurses treated me with so much love and tenderness. Those days were also some of the happiest days of my life.

Five years ago, a colleague shared the gospel with me. The Holy Spirit convicted me and I understood who Christ was and what He did for me. I started attending my colleague’s church. I asked God whether this was where He wanted me to settle in. He said no. A year passed and my cousin invited me to Church of Our Saviour. When I first stepped into its sanctuary, I told God: “Lord, I’m finally home.”

I was given a dream of God early on. It was of me being cradled by a pair of very big hands. I felt totally assured of God’s love and protection. Even if I were to stumble and fall many times, I know God will help me get back on my feet. He will never abandon me.


Given that I came into this world naked, and shall depart from it naked, all I have is from God and I am only taking care of His resources during my brief stay on earth. They are all His and never mine. I am very grateful to God for all that He has given me in abundance so I can bless others abundantly.

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.”

- Jim Elliot


“But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which
is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.”

- Philippians 3:7-12


When I see Christ, these are the words I want to hear: “Well done, good and faithful servant.”


My words and my actions have also been underpinned by what I hope people will say about me during my funeral:

- I was a faithful servant of God

- I was loving and generous towards my family, my colleagues and my friends

- I was always encouraging and empowering people

- I made a positive difference in other people’s lives

- I left the world a better place than when I first came into it

- They saw Christ in me


I ask God daily for four things: the love and compassion of Christ for people; the passion for Christ and His Word; the wisdom of Christ; and the increasing revelation of Christ in my life.


I like my job because it allows me to be creative and to use my abilities well. I have a few very close Christian friends in the workplace. I also e-mail a once-a-month newsletter to some Christian colleagues about Christian issues, articles and events. I’ve been in the same job for about 13 years. I’m still a “Jonah” because I’m not prepared for God’s calling in my life. I’ve asked God to be patient with me, to forgive my disobedience and to give me courage to conquer my fears.


Regardless of whether I am married, I am content with my life because I have God, my family, and my friends, both Christian and non-Christian. Thank God that He has gifted me with the ability to manage loneliness well. I am 35, single and happy most of the time. With God’s grace, I should be able to manage growing old well on my own.


10 years from now (or earlier), I hope I will grow in maturity in my faith. I want to have the ability to support myself (and my parents) if I were to quit my job and take on a part-time one which involves social or community work. I want to pay off my home mortgage. I want to take one year off to help out at orphanages around the world. I want to volunteer with the Singapore Children’s Society or World Vision.


To me, a good life is simple living and meaningful work grounded on faith in Christ and relationships with people.

No comments: