Monday, April 2, 2007

Rise up my love, my fair one, come away

Love

Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-ey’d Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lack’d anything.

"A guest," I answer’d "worthy to be here";
Love said, "You shall be he."
"I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah, my dear,
I cannot look on thee."
Love took my hand, and smiling did reply,
"Who made the eyes but I?"

Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame
Go where it doth deserve."
"And know you not," says Love "who bore the blame?"
"My dear, then I will serve."
"You must sit down," says Love "and taste my meat."
So I did sit and eat.

- George Herbert (17th Century Anglican poet)


I came across this poem when I was searching online for some readings on the character of God. How beautifully the words tell of God's love and grace, and His service in His crucifixion.

I was curious about George Herbert so I did an online search on him. Bartleby.com has a detailed account of his life at http://www.bartleby.com/15/2/21.html

I haven't finished reading the 28 A4-sized pages of his life but will update in this post once I get a grip of what he's like and how he defined his relationship with God.



No comments: