Thursday, May 15, 2008

When small things matter

On my flight back from a trip to Taipei, I was sitting next to this twenty-something girl who looked a tad pale and sick. I noticed tears flowing down her cheek at one stage. I tend to get very affected by such things. I tapped her shoulder and pushed a tissue paper into her hand and asked her if she needed a hot Milo drink. She said no and thanked me for the tissue paper. After that, she closed her eyes and was asleep for most of the journey.

When the plane landed at Changi Airport, she opened the overhead compartment and asked me in Mandarin if the bag of stuff was mine. I replied to say yes and told her not to worry about me and to take care of her own belongings. When the cabin door opened, she smiled at me and waved bye to me. I felt very happy just to be able to help a stranger in that small way.

No comments: