Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Darkness at noon

I was in Taipei when the Sichuan earthquake struck, and I had no inkling of the severity of it until I flew back to Singapore. I had not seen any TV footage of the destruction, and even though there are so many video clips on youtube now, I am still at a loss as to how and where to start.

From what I could tell, those who saw the TV footage were very affected by it because many children died and there were many clips showing their bodies and grieving parents and grandparents, even nurses. And I read many accounts, which illuminated humankind at its best - heroes, charity concerts, Jet Li, Jackie Chan, soldiers, men in the street, rescuers going without sleep - and at its worst - looting.

I told my colleagues that I wanted to look at the TV news footage, and they asked me why I wanted to see things that would make me sad. I couldn't respond at that time. Now, after some thought, I think I want to see those video footage because I want to share in this collective grief, which makes me human.

Now every day, I'm reading online reports of the latest developments in the earthquake zone. As some have rightly said, charity doesn't just end at charity concerts and the here and now, but there is a need to ensure that the process of rebuilding, which could take years, is also well taken care of. As such, efforts by Chinese, HK and Taiwanese artistes have focused on not only just the immediate needs but the longer-term redevelopment of the devastated areas.

I remember someone saying that the saddest and hardest thing for parents to bear is that their child dies first. In the Sichuan earthquake, my sadness comes from thinking of the life a child could have lived if he hadn't died, and the many many things of this earth that he will never experience; however, this grief is cloaked in joy because I know that this earth will never match up to the wondrous place that is heaven.

My prayer is that God will send His love to those suffering through ways in which He knows will touch their hearts the most, and give them peace and closure.

No comments: