Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The important things

I was replying to e-mails from my group of close friends when these thoughts came to my mind, and I e-mailed them the excerpt below.

It took me many years to realise that:

- Other people may not like what you like.

- Other people are not interested in what you're interested in.

- Being different is good.

- Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that you are right and he is wrong

- Some people will like you regardless of what you do, while others will never like you regardless of what you do.

- Be accepting of other people's different viewpoints, faults etc because they are also accepting of yours.

- The key to happiness is contentment.

- Accept people at their level so that they, too, can accept you at your level.

- A simple, boring life is a beautiful life.

- Joy comes from within the heart, and is not found in things, situations or other people.

- People will let you down sometimes, and it's all right and we should take it well because we will also let people down sometimes.

- Self-confidence comes from knowing your value in your own eyes, not through the eyes of another person. (In my case, my value is derived from how God views me - loving me enough to die in my place - so yes, I feel very loved and valued).

- Being able to love oneself and forgive oneself is important for emotional health.

- View every negative comment in a constructive manner and every positive remark with a measured tone.

- It's good to do something silly, impulsive or break out of one's comfort zone once in a while because this helps me cope with life.

Afterthought: I just pray that whenever a situation arises during which I have to defend Christ and my faith, I am able to do so with courage, clarity, wisdom and love.



No comments: