Monday, June 30, 2008

A real star: Joey Yung 容祖儿












I decided on a lark to go up to Genting Highlands over a weekend just to catch Joey Yung in concert. Two weeks before the trip, I had no inkling of any of her songs. So I went on a crash course, listening to her songs day and night literally.

The concert was held at the Arena of Stars auditorium. The sound system is good, unlike that horrendous place at Suntec City that Mayday always performs at.

During the concert, Joey's voice was crystal clear and very good. She hardly sounded strained despite lots of gruelling dance steps and movements. She appeared to injure her back slightly during one of the dances early on. I knew something was wrong because she didn't execute one of the steps properly, and following that, when she was talking to the audience, her face seemed a bit pained and she was subtly stretching her back. It was quite worrying for me at that stage, because any fan would not have wanted her to continue just in case that was a serious injury. Thankfully, she seemed okay as the concert wore on.

What I really appreciated was that Joey gave her 150% during the concert. I could really see that she was giving her best. I was seated about 15 rows from the stage and was the only one apart from 20-odd fan club members, who stood up after every song, cheered loudly, screamed and danced. I think I was in her direct line of vision and she saw me and she smiled broadly at me. :-)

When I was told by the minders that I couldn't dance at where I was seated, I moved to dance beside the sound control box during her fast song segment. Ha! :-) Since I was so energetic, the people beside me caught my fever and four of them stood up to dance as well. Ha ha ha!

Joey had two encores that night. People started leaving after the first encore but we of course stayed back. We then started screaming and clapping and whistling. Everyone started moving towards the front, so a metal barrier was the only thing that separated us from Joey.

Joey was very accommodating to her fans. One of them shouted that she wanted to sing a song with Joey, who very sportingly asked her to come up to the stage. She hugged her fan, who was tearing as she sang. The guys around me were hilarious: they kept moaning and saying "aiyoh, wasted, why not us, why not us?"

I could see her really close upfront, and this was the closest I've been to an artiste. So it was very cool for me. All the fans looked very happy and everyone was snapping pictures like crazy. There was this guy who kept motioning in my direction. So I pointed to one girl and he nodded his head. His girlfriend obviously ran ahead of him and forgot about him, who was left behind. I tapped the girl on her shoulder and pointed to him. She laughed and waved at him. After that, she continued to scream, shout and take pictures of Joey, ignoring him. That was quite a funny moment.

The concert started at 8.30pm and finished around 11pm or later. I would say that I made the right decision to catch Joey live in concert. :-)

When the concert ended, one of the announcements was that an upcoming artiste would be Sammi Cheng. If Sammi doesn't make her way to Singapore, I will definitely make my way to Genting's Arena of Stars to catch her live. :-)

PS: The crappy, blurred photos are my fault. I took only my handphone with me to the concert, thinking that cameras would not be allowed. Sigh...I was so wrong.


No comments: