Friday, May 1, 2009

A Tanzanian story

I had the tremendous honour and privilege of playing host to a 23-year-old Canadian Chinese girl, J, two weekends past. I don't even know how to begin sharing about this encounter. She is a fervent believer of Christ and last year she went to a Tanzanian village of 3,000 for nine months just to teach the kids and the villagers about nutrition.

I think I would just summarise our encounter in a few points:

1. Her attitude, beliefs and actions give me hope for a better future.

2. We need to help the poor in the world.

3. God can do wonders with a willing heart.

4. We need to pray for countries like Tanzania, where girls as young as 10 become sexually active because in their culture, they find it hard to say no to guys.

5. I was extremely encouraged and edified by what she said about her life.

6. It was wonderful just to see the photos and videos that she took of her stint in Tanzania and to see the absolute joy on her face when she was sharing with me about what she did there, the children there, the pastors there, the mothers there, the village there etc.

7. After that day, I shared my encounter with her with my colleagues as well as some of my counselling group members.

8. I pray that she will do mighty things for the Lord, and I believe that she is more than able to do them, because of the Holy Spirit in her.

9. I felt my heart sing for joy when I heard her sharing.

10. May God bless and keep her. Amen.


1 comment:

Jen Wen Luoh said...

Thanks Li li! I've never been written about, so what a privilege! =)
Thank you so much for the encouragements!
Jen