Sunday, May 3, 2009

Will is character in action

The Aware saga has been illuminating for me on various issues. I got to hear and read the response of various people on the developments at Aware, some of which I agreed with and some of which I disagreed with.

I pondered in my heart, prayed about it and wrote a long response to a friend who urged me to clarify my stand.

This was what I wrote:

===================================================================

The Aware saga brought out many issues:

1. Spiritual warfare (always with us and illuminated in this skirmish)

2. Christianity versus gay lobby (blown up as an issue - why has it become so?)

3. Christianity versus "secularism" (society does have an inherent standard of values, be they drawn from religion or otherwise - how do we prevent erosion of family values?)

4. Workings of democracy (we respect the vote)

5. Discernment in the body of Christ (the key question: have recent actions been positive or negative for the kingdom of God?)

6. Grace, love and wisdom versus anger, rudeness and ignorance (which side was presented?)

7. How do we present our faith to society?

8. Social harmony (key role, and so how do we bring about reconciliation, forgiveness and inclusion instead of divisiveness?)

9. Values versus rights (we stand by the Bible. It has a very clear stand that homosexuality is sin but we are to love sinners - how do we do that with discernment?)

10. Role of education in future generations: I think the Aware saga is a wake-up call to parents that they need to be more involved in the education of their children.

11. As a result of the Aware saga, a lot of things have been shaken, both in the physical realm and in the spiritual realm. I don't think we know or comprehend even what God is doing behind the scenes. :-)

12. Singapore is the Antioch of Asia. :-)

13. The Bible has not changed and neither should the views of Christians. It remains the Word of God, for us to follow and abide by.

14. God is in full control. Amen to that!

Had a difficult time explaining such things to people over the past few weeks. :-P But it has been a wonderful few weeks because I had the opportunity to tell people about what Christ stands for, and that is a good thing. :-)

===================================================================================

I thank God that I attended a two-day conference on "Transformation in the marketplace", helmed by Pastor Ed Silvoso. His teachings added to my understanding of God and His purpose and plan.

I just read today's papers, and was gratified to read one part which shows the grace of God. Josie Lau's conduct through the entire EGM - she was cool and collected even when things went out of control and the conduct of people was unbelievable. God bless her and her family.







No comments: