Sunday, July 15, 2012

On rain


I reposted something on rain just on Facebook and decided to look up some quotes containing the word "rain". How random. How lovely. 

A wind has blown the rain away and blown the sky away and all the leaves away, and the trees stand. I think, I too, have known autumn too long.
e. e. cummings

Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.
Rabindranath Tagore

Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots.
Frank Howard Clark

For me, a page of good prose is where one hears the rain and the noise of battle. It has the power to give grief or universality that lends it a youthful beauty.
John Cheever

I grew up in this town, my poetry was born between the hill and the river, it took its voice from the rain, and like the timber, it steeped itself in the forests.
Pablo Neruda

I love the rain. I want the feeling of it on my face.
Katherine Mansfield

If I were running the world I would have it rain only between 2 and 5 a.m. Anyone who was out then ought to get wet.
William Lyon Phelps

Into each life some rain must fall.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby.
Langston Hughes

Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.
Ashley Smith

My sorrow, when she's here with me, thinks these dark days of autumn rain are beautiful as days can be; she loves the bare, the withered tree; she walks the sodden pasture lane.
Robert Frost

No person has the right to rain on your dreams.
Marian Wright Edelman

Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life.
John Updike

Tears of joy are like the summer rain drops pierced by sunbeams.
Hosea Ballou

That's what I love. Not being interrupted, sitting in a car by myself and listening to music in the rain. There are so many great songs yet to sing.
Alison Krauss

The rain began again. It fell heavily, easily, with no meaning or intention but the fulfilment of its own nature, which was to fall and fall.
Helen Garner

The three great elemental sounds in nature are the sound of rain, the sound of wind in a primeval wood, and the sound of outer ocean on a beach.
Henry Beston

When I'm writing, I am concentrating almost wholly on concrete detail: the color a room is painted, the way a drop of water rolls off a wet leaf after a rain.
Donna Tartt

You should not see the desert simply as some faraway place of little rain. There are many forms of thirst.
William Langewiesche

“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
- Matthew 5:43-45 (ESV)

Source: www.brainyquote.com

No comments: