Monday, February 12, 2007

The five-year wait




L e-mailed one day and said she was returning to her hometown Bintan for a month. My group of friends (E, M, X and me) were extremely happy because some of us hadn't seen her for five years.I was one of two lucky ones: I had visited her in Germany while E had m
et her in Paris.

Our friendships go back a long way to secondary school, and we have this pact where we would always meet up at the beginning of the year to write our resolutions as well as our predictions for each other. Upon reading her e-mail, we hastily booked a stay at Nirwana Beach Club just so we could s
pend a weekend with her. More significantly, apart from seeing X and M in person for the first time in five years, L was also going to write her resolutions and her predictions for us in our resolution book.



When we met her, all of us hugged her. I thought I would cry with joy but I didn't. M said her eyes turned watery. We talked and laughed like the old times, and ate like there was no tomorrow. We kept taking pictures. We spent time at the pool and walked along the beach. It was as if she hadn't been away at all.

I think all of us were so happy that the circle of the five of us was finally complete, if only for two days. I was grinning like mad for most of the time. We slept only around 3am on Sunday because we also watched video clips of M's wedding day and pictures of L's husband S. We woke up at 8am for breakfast. I could hardly keep my eyes open and the rest told me to go back to sleep. I refused, and L said: "She doesn't want to go back to the room because she doesn't want to miss out on anything!"


In five years, a lot has changed. L has married a German S; E has a new boyfriend HY; M has married K and recently given birth to a daughter SQ. X is now expecting her third child - a daughter this time.

L took transport back to her place in Tanjung Pinang around 5.15pm while our hotel transport to the ferry terminal would pick us up around 5.30pm. We said our goodbyes but surprisingly I wasn't sad at all. I told the others that it was because I knew I would see her again.


















No comments: