Thursday, October 25, 2007

A petal's edge

Light lily lily light light lily light


Imagically
Lightli ly


Outline stones for the wind


All creatures come

To mind to oneness


(Donald Revell)


While reading a book on poetry criticism by Donald Revell, I smsed a friend to tell her that every time I came across a poem, my first instinct was to give voice to the poem. That happened to me once during a crowded MRT ride, and I stopped myself when I suddenly realised that I was talking aloud to myself. Her response was that poetry is about sound.

I was delighted when I came across the poem above by Revell that he had included in the book. He wrote it after he walked to work along a back alley, not looking for anything, but chanced upon tiger lilies all over the place. For me, the sound of the words just hooked me. My gut feeling was happiness - sunlight on flowers.

Yes, my next few blog entries will be on poems from the book. Revell included some fine examples, and I'm almost ready to dash down to the nearest bookstore to get some more poetry/poem collections.

2 comments:

wheyface said...

Hooray! You're hooked! It's the best drug in the world, poetry is!
I recommend Stephen Fry's book and also "Introduction to Poetry" by Dana Gioia and X. J. Kennedy.

Plain Forgiven said...

Thanks! I was just about to ask you to recommend me a book on poetry. Yippee!!!! Down to Kino I go! Ha ha! :-) I need all the help I can get, given that my new job requires me to write as well.