Sunday, October 7, 2007

School of cool

I had a broad smile on my face on Sept 13 when I picked up my papers and saw that one of my dear friends, Quiet Notes, was on the cover of Life!, along with other home-grown and foreign talents who will be heading up the School of the Arts.

When I spoke to her, her comment was that some of her relatives had said she looked like she had put on weight because her face looked rounder in that cover photograph. She turned to me and asked, do you think so, too? I laughed because I can't lie very well (and I shouldn't lie as well) and so I said I agreed. But then I told her that photographs and the screen tend to add at least 10% of surface area to people's faces, and so she shouldn't worry too much about that.

I'm excited for her because she's excited about being one of the pioneering people driving the curriculum of the new school, which has as its mission the nurturing of youths talented in the arts, with the vision to groom the next generation of artists, creative professionals and individuals who are passionate for, and committed to the arts in Singapore. The school opens next year and offers a connected arts and academic curriculum for youths from 13 to 18 years old.

I told her that I had read the article and checked out the other faculty members, and that they all seemed to be extremely talented and very unique individuals. Above all, they have the passion and love for the arts and that counts for everything when it comes to nurturing young minds and growing young hearts.




No comments: