Thursday, September 6, 2007

Washington D.C. through my eyes (XII)


My friend SL suggested that I should visit the Library of Congress. The ignoramus that I was, I was like "huh, why?" Well, the trip was worth it and now I know that it is the United States' oldest federal cultural institution and serves as the research arm of Congress. It is also the largest library in the world.

The Library of Congress actually occupies three buildings on Capitol Hill. The Thomas Jefferson Building (1897) is the original separate Library of Congress building. (The Library began in 1800 inside the U.S. Capitol.) The John Adams Building was built in 1938 and the James Madison Memorial Building was completed in 1981.



We went for a docent-led tour of the Thomas Jefferson Building. Public tours are offered Monday through Saturday at 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m., and 3:30 p.m. (although there is no 3:30 p.m. tour on Saturdays). The tours last about one hour.

When I first entered the building, I had to try to breathe and close my mouth because I've rarely seen such a more beautiful interior of a government structure. It would do the building a grave injustice for me to even try to describe its splendour in words when the Library of Congress itself offers a virtual tour of the place on its website. For an insider's view, this account by Kurt Maier is very much worth a read.






I could scarcely hide my delight when we came to the East Corridor of the building and that's when the docent introduced us to two of the Library's great treasures, the Gutenberg Bible and the Giant Bible of Mainz.


Both volumes were produced in Mainz, Germany, in the mid-1450s; one is written by hand, in manuscript, while the other is the first book printed with movable metal type. The Library's three-volume Gutenberg Bible is one of three perfect vellum copies in existence.


Gutenberg Bible

If you look closely at the bible, you will see that there
are some beautifully decorated manuscript capital
letters through the pages. These were handwritten
and added after the bible had been printed.


Giant Bible of Mainz

This text of this bible is bordered by stunning illustrations of animals, flowers and trees.
It is in Latin, like the Gutenberg Bible.
Both Bibles are on vellum, or animal skin.


No comments: