Friday, August 3, 2007

Have you heard Him today?

Prophet Song

I hear the words of the prophet
I love to sing with the angels
I love to hear children praying
I love to see weak made strong
But most of all, I love to hear the voice of God

I hear the prayers of the prayers
I hear the songs in the silence
I see the joy of the dancers
And all the healing they bring
But most of all I love to hear the voice of God.
Most of all I love to hear the voice of God.

We'll call on the name of the Lord
For He is the one who can save
He is the giver of life to the world
We'll hunger and thirst for your word
For here we will meet you Lord
The voice of the living God Jesus Christ

We long to see heaven open
And see your glory come down
We long to hear words Eternal
Forever changing our hearts.
And if you'd come we'd love to hear the voice of God
Oh will you come we long to hear your voice Oh God.

Written by Martin Smith ©1994 Curious? Music UK


I was clearing some stuff in my room (as usual) and running through some songs on iTunes when I heard Prophet Song by Delirious. I have had this album for a number of years but it was the first time I heard this song. After the song ended, I searched for the lyrics online.

The song accurately describes my heart and I hope it does yours, too. That above all else, we yearn and love to hear the voice of God and walk with him in intimacy and in love.

I turned to the Bible and read this part on Elijah's encounter with God in 1 Kings 19. Although God could have spoken to Elijah through a great and strong wind, through an earthquake, through a fire, displaying all of his sovereignty and power and might, He chose instead to talk to Elijah in the most unexpected way - through a still small voice. Elijah heard it and responded to God.

God’s Revelation to Elijah
1 Kings 19: 11-13
11 Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the LORD.” And behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.
13 So it was, when Elijah heard it, that he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. Suddenly a voice came to him, and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”


I sometimes wish that God would speak to me like someone trying to speak to an elderly person who's hard of hearing. That way, I won't miss whatever He says. Having said that, though, I pray that increasingly I would be like Elijah, who was able to hear the still small voice of God. As well, I pray that I would be increasingly sensitive to the leading and guidance of the Holy Spirit and respond to its leading in my life. And day by day, I would increasingly love to hear the voice of God. Amen.




2 comments:

jrk902 said...

hi, i don't think we know each other but you probably recognise me from comments on wheyface's blog & that's also where i found the link to your blog :)

just wanted to stop by to say this is an excellent post & i really appreciate it. i also really like your post on dr john stott & being christlike. thank you for sharing!

God bless,

becky

Plain Forgiven said...

Hi Becky (friend of wheyface)!

Thanks for dropping by!!!

I'm delighted that you found my posts interesting, and that you're encouraged by them.

I'm praying that we will always find ourselves in the river on our knees. :-)