Thursday, July 26, 2007

The author who came in from the cold

I've always had a fondness for Russian authors because they had their hearts and minds in the right places. Where do I even start when talking about Pushkin, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky and Solzhenitsyn? To me, they are all literary geniuses and I deeply admire their resolve in writing about the political poverty and social inequity they see around them. Of course, the other important aspect about them is that they are mostly believers in Jesus Christ.

Their love and patriotism for their country also run very deeply through their works. Indeed, those who care deeply for their country are the ones who would most want the best for their country, and invariably the ones who would agitate for change.

I was elated to come across this lengthy Spiegel interview of Solzhenitsyn, and learn from it that he will be coming out with a new book - My American Years - later this year.

There were two comments from him in the article that I liked very much:

"I have always believed in what I did and never acted against my conscience."

"For me faith is the foundation and support of one's life."



No comments: