Sunday, July 8, 2007

Bringing home the prodigals (II)

I especially liked this prayer that was printed on a pamphlet distributed along with the cards. It's called the Elder Brother's Prayer:

Dear Loving Father,

I humble myself before You.

I repent of my negative attitude towards my prodigal brothers and sisters.

Even though I may appear to be faithfully serving in Your house, I confess that I too have been prodigal at heart.

Forgive me for pretending to be more spiritual than I really am.

Forgive me for self-righteously judging and rejecting those who had walked out on home and faith.

Forgive me for begrudging Your lavish love and longsuffering mercies towards them.

Pluck out the hidden roots of spiritual pride and deception in my life.

Create within me a right spirit.

Baptise me in Your compassionate love so that I may always - with open heart and open arms - accept and acknowledge, applaud and affirm every prodigal who comes home.

In Jesus' Name, Amen.


It was a very humbling experience to say the prayer out loud among the congregation and know that deep in my heart, I have been guilty on all counts. Thank God that when we repent in our hearts, there is forgiveness because of the cross. Amen.



No comments: