Saturday, July 7, 2007

Is there spiritual warfare in this time and age?

I mentioned in an earlier post about Pastor Joel Stockstill of 220power, the youth ministry of Bethany World Prayer Center in the United States. He and his wife have raised up 430 leaders who disciple more than 3,300 students in weekly cell meetings. I said that I liked listening to his sermons through podcasts and was edified by them.

I left a note on his personal blog some time back. Yesterday, when I went to check his blog, I was quite shocked to find out that he is facing kidney problems and that his wife has been diagnosed as suffering from a low-grade cancer called Hodgkins Lymphoma around the same time.

Among his blog entries were these words: "Yesterday was one of the most difficult days of my life. Between Amy’s first chemotherapy treatment and a rough day at the dialysis unit for me (simultaneously) it all seemed to surreal. Even now, speaking about the situation with my darling wife seems like another person’s story or a book of someone else’s life. The emotional side of all this is too much to even try and handle and that is why we must not be led or controlled by emotions but allow our spirit man to take the lead. In my emotions there is anxiety, fear, and shock, but in my spirit there is peace, faith, and a calm assurance that Jesus Christ is at the right hand of the Father interceding for me day and night. What a grand thought!


"Never in my life have I seen such warfare, and you all that know me know that I have seen some serious battle days in my time, but this is something else! To be honest it is truly shocking in one sense but exciting in another to know that the enemy is so afraid of us that he has to go to all these lengths to try and stop us and still he fails! haha devil, take that!
"

I am deeply humbled by his courage and his faith in God, and I pray that I will exhibit those same attributes during my times of spiritual warfare and battles. I also pray that God will deepen and broaden my faith more and more each day.

I'm also praying for Pastor Stockstill and his wife Amy.




2 comments:

Sista Cala said...

Oh yes, spiritual warfare is real and it is going on now more than ever. The devil knows his days are short. We must do all we can to stand and fight. We must be ready at all times. We must support our brothers and sisters in the ministry. Particularly if they are actively reaching the lost people of the world.

Plain Forgiven said...

I pray that I would be more committed in intercessory prayer. :-P

Plainforgiven