Monday, July 16, 2007

Past and present Cantopop greats

I came back from the Jacky Cheung concert and started going through youtube.

I wanted to check if there were video postings of Anita Mui because I had never heard her live or seen her perform live before. Then I realised that there were quite a few video clips of Jacky and Anita performing a particular song during their concerts etc. The song was called Blessing.


One video led to another and before I knew it, I had gone through some videos of Anita Mui, Jacky Cheung, Faye Wong, Teresa Teng, Sam Hui, Alan Tam and Danny Chan and Eason Chan. All greats in their own right. And I discovered one real gem in Denise Ho or HOCC.


I've listed down some links to some videos below. I'll probably be going through some more during my free time.


One of them, in particular, made me cry because it was a clip of Anita singing one of her biggest hits during her 2003 concert series in HK. She appeared in a wedding gown singing that song, to symbolise that she was married to the stage.

It was a very poignant song for me because I think that she herself must have known that there was something seriously wrong with her body but yet, she chose to have that series of concerts because music was her life. And I felt that she wanted to give it all she had during this last concert series because perhaps in her heart, she knew that her time was very nearly up.


1. Jacky Cheung's CNN interview in 2004
Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



2a. Anita Mui's video that made me cry - 夕陽之歌

2b. A tribute to Anita Mui (sitting in the audience) from Sammi Cheng, Kelly Chen, Joey Yung, HOCC, Miriam Yeung and Gigi Leung. - 似水流年
2c. Another of Anita's classic live performances - 似水流年


3. Faye Wong's tribute to Teresa Teng - 我只在乎你




4. Sam Hui's medley of songs

Sam Hui's 2002 version of 浪子心聲


Sam Hui's 1976 version of 浪子心聲

Anita Mui's version of
浪子心聲



5. Danny Chan and Leslie Cheung on stage



6. Alan Tam and Danny Chan on stage



7. Alan Tam and Sam Hui on stage



7. Eason Chan on stage
How talented is this guy? He plays a wide variety of musical instruments - the piano, drums, guitar, violin, harmonica, accordian, saxophone, electronic organ as well as the trumpet. Is it any wonder that he's widely regarded as the best male singer of his generation in the Chinese/Cantopop world today?
Some other clips:

陳奕迅 - 反高潮

Eason - 反高潮 (99大個唱)


8. Denise Ho or HOCC (Anita's disciple): I was very stunned by her voice. As one of the comments on one of her live performances said: "The song could barely contain her voice." This is the first time I've heard of her and I proceeded to watch some other live performances of hers. She is probably the one I will fly to Hong Kong just to catch a concert of hers. She's got fantastic stage presence, just like Anita. A joy to watch. From what I have seen, she plays the guitar, electric guitar as well as the piano. Another clip where she's with Sammi Cheng at her concert, where they seem to be having such a great time!


PS: It was an emotional trip down memory lane for me when I was listening to some of the clips because some of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard are no longer around.



No comments: