Saturday, July 14, 2007

Ever so often, a rainbow appears

Sometimes, I doubt whether God hears me or whether He's really there. Then something happens to ensure I absolutely know that God is with me. And then, I have to repent and tell God that I'm sorry and ask Him to forgive me for doubting His existence.

I went to a bookstore on Tuesday for some literary consolation, following a rather numbing root canal treatment.

I stopped by the travel section to get a book on Washington D.C. (I'll be travelling there in mid-August with a dear friend, and staying with her in her apartment for two weeks or so.) I then skipped through the military history section and ended up in the inspirational/religious section.

I went through all the Christian books from A to Z.

I picked up four books after asking God what books He wanted me to read:
- Too Busy Not To Pray (Bill Hybels)
- Orthodoxy (G.K.Chesterton)
- How To Hear From God (Joyce Meyer)
- The Wounded Healer (Henri Nouwen)

Henri Nouwen was, to me, a dark horse. I knew him only as a Catholic priest and writer, and had never read any of his books. But I had read of him as well as of Thomas Merton in many Christian articles, which cited their insightful writings on faith and Christ.

On returning home, I went online to download some sermon podcasts from my church. The next day, I listened to one of them during my cab ride to work.

The podcast sermon was from a recent youth service. The youth pastor started her sermon with a story. When she finished telling it and said that it had been written by Henri Nouwen, I could feel the hairs on my body standing.

I just said silently in my heart: "Yes Lord, I know you really want me to read this book. Thank you for making it very clear."

I told God: "God, sometimes I am overwhelmed by Your presence. Forgive me."

I have finished listening to that sermon on faith, and I am starting on Henri Nouwen's book.




2 comments:

wheyface said...

How are you getting on with the Nouwen? Tell me more when we meet, okay?

Plain Forgiven said...

Hey wheyface,

Yep, I'm going through the Nouwen book now. Will talk about it when we next meet, which should be soon, right? :-)